Dam 1 Catawba Falls

In 1923 Colonel Daniel W. Adams was a conservationist who lived in Old Fort from 1914 until his death in 1957. Prior to his army enlistment in 1917 he was employed by the U.S. Forest Service, which he joined in 1909. 

In 1911 he invented and constructed the first forest fire tower in the world, which was erected in the Arkansas Ouacita National Forest. In 1912 and 1913 he was engaged in purchasing land for the U.S. Government as part of Pisgah National Forest and Shenandoah National Park. 

Milestones in the busy and civic life of Colonel Adams included spearheading the establishment of a water system for Old Fort and building of a power plant at Catawba Falls. He also opened feldspar and mica mines in Mitchell County and helped establish the Daniel Boone National Forest. His efforts in the conservation program were a major contribution in the establishment of National Parks and Forest in the south eastern United States. 

On August 31 1989 Daniel W. Adams sold the land containing the Catawba Falls to the Trust for Public Land Inc.