The geyser, built in 1879, was man-made and positioned next to Mill Creek.
It was a popular tourist attraction, particularly eye-catching for railroad
passengers ascending the nine miles of track and tunnels that peaked at the top of Swannanoa Gap.
In 1903, the Round Knob Hotel burned. The geyser was relocated, restored and named for Alexander Boyd Andrews, Vice President of the Western North Carolina Railroad.
Today, the geyser is part of a public park maintained by the town of Old Fort. Picnic tables are on site in addition to a N.C. Civil War Trail marker.
>One of the last skirmishes of the
Civil War took place at the base of Swannanoa Gap.